Startup Engineering III: From Idea to Business
This is the home page for the course "Startup Engineering III" in the summer term 2022. General information on this course can be found here.
The course information was updated. (04.04.2022)
Startup Engineering 3 is a team-based project. There are some lectures, but the module consists mostly of coached teamwork. Therefore, students will need strong abilities in communication and teamwork and be able to work in a largely self-directed manner. We recommend that students who are more suited to a traditional course requiring individual study and concluding with an exam do not choose this module.
Application and registration
Important: Please, check before you register for this course, if you can obtain credit points for it in your prefered way. We cannot answer this question. Please ask your examination office or a program advisor.
Application is only possible via e-Learning during the period from March 25th through April 3rd, 2022.
- Students work in teams of three.
- Up to 5 teams can attend this course.
- Teams need to be formed via e-Learning (section: team building).
- If there are more registrations than places, the order of registrations will decide on the allocation of places.
- For final registration students need to attend the first exercise (April 7th, 2022).
- All other deadlines can be found in e-Learning.
- The exam type is a Hausarbeit.
- We will provide customer problems for you to work on.
- Your Hausarbeit will consist of a team presentation, the evaluation of another team's presentation in form of a pitch report as well as your list of customer interview questions.
- All deliverables (presentations, evaluation report and customer interview questions) must be submitted on time in the e-learning system.
- You can find all deadlines in the e-Learning system.
- The presentation must be submitted in form of a video by 6.7.2022, 8 pm.
- Students need to submit the written report by 31.7.2022, 8 pm.
- Teams may arrange individual coaching appointments via E-Mail with Graham (graham.horton[at]ovgu.de) or Jana (jana.goers[at]ovgu.de).
- Classroom language: German.
Within the course, the following dates are planned (L: Lecture; E: Exercise and P: Presentation):
(All slides are from last semester.)
Exercise, Thursday 11-1 pm
Pitch Example (Video)
|E-00: Organisational information,
team building and course
|02||14.4.||L-02: Plausibility Check (Slides | Video)||E-01: Startup Idea|
|04||28.4.||L-03: Customer Interview (Slides | Video)||E-03: Plausibility, Part 2|
|05||5.5.||E-04: Customer Interview|
|06||12.5.||L-04: Potential (Slides | Video)||E-05: Potential (Features & Benefits)|
|07||19.5.||E-06: Positioning Statement|
|09||2.6.||L-05: Experimental Design (Slides | Video)||E-07: Experimental Design 1|
|10||9.6.||E-08: Experimental Design 2|
|11||16.6.||L-06: Advanced Tools (Slides | Video)||E-09: Advanced Tools|
|14||7.7.||P-01: Accelerator Pitch|
The type of exam (6 CP) for this course will be a Hausarbeit, which consists of an individual and a team component. The team component consist of an Accelerator Pitch presentation (in English) and a list of customer interview questions. The individual component is an evaluation of a pitch report (either in English or in German) of another team's pitch. Each student's grad will be composed of their team and their individual grades.
Exam-points will be distributed as following:
Accelerator Pitch (team evaluation)
|Pitch report (individual evaluation)||50|