Startup Engineering II: Building a Minimum Viable Product
This is page contains semester-specific information for the course "Startup Engineering II: Building a Minimum Viable Product" for the winter term 2021/22.
Note (status: 11.10.2021):
- Online course - synchronous and asynchronous elements: The lecture will be available in a media library and need to be studied on own initiative. Exercises and presentations will be held online (live) via an online conferencing tool Zoom as well as the online collaboration tool Miro.
- This course will be held in English.
Application and registration
Application is possible via e-Learning during the period from September 16th through September 30th, 2021.
- Students work in teams of three.
- Up to 10 teams can attend this course.
- Student teams need to be formed via the first coaching session.
- If there are more registrations than places, the order of registrations for a team will decide on the allocation of places.
- For final registration students need to sign a registration form in e-Learning.
- The exam type is a Hausarbeit.
- In order to participate in the exam, you need to successfully complete the "Prüfungsvorleistungen".
- We evaluate presentations throughout the course, as well as a written report at the end of the course.
- Presentations will be part of the "Prüfungsvorleistungen". The written report is part of the exam.
- All deliverables (presentations and report) need to be submitted on time in the e-learning system as PDF-file and (for presentations) a current video file format.
- You can find the deadlines in the e-Learning system. In total we require five presentations and one written report.
- Each team member takes responsibility for at least one milestone presentation. Which one you pick, is up to you.
- For every milestone presentation, we require an equivalent chapter in your report. The grading will be based on the written report.
- Each presentation must be submitted on the due date by 6 pm.
- Students must submit the written report by 28.01.2022, 6 pm.
- Teams may arrange individual coaching appointments via E-Mail with Graham (graham.horton[at]ovgu.de) or Jana (jana.goers[at]ovgu.de).
Important: We will not provide any technical support. Students are responsible for setting up their software development environment and coding.
List of startup ideas for this semester
Please send chosen startup idea by 17.10.2021, 6 pm via e-Learning. Each team chooses a startup idea from the following list for their semester work:
- Betting platform: A website that connects people who want to bet against each other. The bet can be on anything, for example, whether we will have a White Christmas this year.
- Decision Assistant: A website that helps you to make difficult decisions by collecting and evaluating criteria.
- Camera AI: A web app that provides insights of AI-camera observations and can answer questions such as "how long is the average customer waiting time in the queue?" or "when was this area last serviced?"
- Virtual Tutor: A smart home assistant such as Amazon Alexa is used as a teaching assistant for elementary school children. Two examples of topics are math and spelling.
- Adventure: An interactive game in which the player has to complete quests in a fantasy world and Alexa is the dungeon master.
- One-Click Savings app: This mobile app wants to make saving money as easy and convenient as spending money. With just one click, you can transfer money to a savings account where it is automatically invested for you.
- Indoor tracking app: Large buildings and faciIities have many visitors who do not know their way around. You can teach this mobile app routes, which visitors who have the app can then easily follow. In one use-case, the app can guide a fire extinguisher inspector from the main entrance of a building to each fire extinguisher.
- Med Diary app: A mobile app that helps patients with chronic deseases collect daily data such as fatigue and sleep and share it with medical specialists.
- Teacher buddy: A learning app for schoolchildren that helps them with schoolwork, provides examples and questions for teachers and keeps parents updated about their childrens' progress.
- Slack team assistant: A Slack app that provides support functions for office teams. Possible functions include FAQs, notes, reminders, deadlines and tasks.
- Karma: A Slack app that manages karma points. Users can earn karma points by completing small tasks that benefit their team such as buying coffee or emptying the recycling bin.
- Day: Monday
- Time: 11 am - 1 pm c.t.
- Location: Lectures (asynchronous via Mediasite), Coachings (online Zoom, live, synchronous)
You will have digial, asynchronous lectures (L) and digital coaching sessions:
11 am - 1 pm
(We expect you study the lectures on your
|Introduction and forming teams (mandatory)|
Milestone #1 delivery by 31.10.2021, 6 pm
Milestone #2 delivery by 14.11.2021, 6 pm
Milestone #3 delivery by 28.11.2021, 6 pm
Milestone #4 delivery by 12.12.2021, 6 pm
Milestone #5 delivery by 09.01.2022, 6 pm
Final report delivery by 28.01.2022, 6 pm
The milestone presentations throughout the semester are part of the "Prüfungsvorleistung". Students must complete a "Prüfungsvorleistung" successfully in order to participate in the exam and earn credit points.
- For each milestone presentation you can obtain up to 10 points.
- For each answered question in your presentation you can earn one point.
- You must earn at least 5 points in each milestone presentation in order to be able to take part in the exam.
- Submission deadline for every presentation is the the due date up to 6 pm.
Students must submit all deliverables via the e-Learning platform of the OVGU. Deliverables that are not submitted on time and will therefore result in a fail for the Prüfungsvorleistung.
The type of exam for this course will be a "Hausarbeit". The "Hausarbeit" will consist of
- Five sections of the final report at the end of the semester (deadline: 28.01.2022, 6 pm)
- Five sections: three sections written by individual team members and two sections written by the whole team.
Students must submit the "Hausarbeit" via the e-Learning platform of the OVGU. Deliverables that are not submitted on time will be evaluated with 0 points and will therefore result in a fail for the exam.
Exam-points will be distributed as following:
|Section of your final report||Points|
|One individual section||20|
|Two team sections||40|